I was told to design a puppet for a music video. The design was of a monster who was build to chase a rock band full of teenagers around a haunted mansion. I first tried out silly things like a monster with a chest which opened up to reveal a repulsive giant mouth full of teeth. That didn't seem practical and it was pretty messy looking. I then tried things which looked slinky and sneaky but they didn't seem threatening enough either. My boyfriend, Max, visited me after a long afternoon of brianstorming and helped me out with the monster design; muscular, faceless and built to run. He deserves credit for the idea. There's a hint of inspiration from Half-Life 2 in there too.
These are some of the pictures from the development:



The legs were bent initially because I thought the animators were capable of inventing the various poses from just a single profile photo. If I knew they were going to make me joint him I would've straightened them, making it easier for him to stand.


Here's the baby;

 He's less professional than the adult but this model was built first and was more of an experiment.
He also had interchangeable face-plates; yawn, snarl, delight, and anger.

I'll post the photo-shoot another time.


This entry was posted on 17:38 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: